Friday, September 19, 2008

Interlude: Taos


Rene' and I were chatting this afternoon about our day trip to Taos during our honeymoon. Not a lot of detail surfaced: a late breakfast, a visit to an art gallery with Mountain Man Art... (kind of glad that phase is over... it is, isn't it?), a cold winter day. But I remembered also looking out north of town, up the valley and thinking, "Colorado is not so far up there..." Just a couple of weeks before I had heard of a lead on a church that needed a pastor up in Denver, and stored it away as a possible job lead, that I might look into after our wedding and honeymoon. The whole thing worked out pretty well.

Turner and I are in Taos to climb Wheeler Peak, New Mexico, a low thirteener, but the highest point in the state. It will be our seventh this year. What a drive down! The drives to the highpoints have been spectacular, and this one is no exception. We drove over La Veta Pass and through San Luis Valley, including the oldest town in Colorado, San Luis itself. I guess Mesa Verde doesn't count, another tough break for the ancient pueblans. What a charming town is Taos, but Turrner and I were noticing that there are very few young people here. We concluded that this is a vacation town for old folks. There's art, pottery, turquoise, but no waterslides or rollercoasters. B-O-R-I-N-G. Unless of course you're post-kids, well to do, and looking to brighten up your existence somewhat.

Tomorrow, the hike. I've read it's pretty steep, but I feel unintimidated after Mt. Elbert (did I mention it's the highest in the Rocky Mountains?). Less elevation, less climbing, less mileage. Just one stretch of 2000 feet of climb in one mile. What grade is that anyway? Just under 40%? Really glad we're not trying to drive it.

No comments: